Frequently Asked Questions – Current Students

Where do I find information about this week’s training?

You can check the student calendar for full details of the term 1 and 2 training. This will provide information on the timing, location and topic of each session, as well as information about equipment and suitable clothing for field trips and other excursions. You should also receive weekly emails from the DTP admin team with key information about the next week’s training, including start times, locations, clothing and preparation.

Can I claim money back for my oyster Card payments to attend the training in term 1?

Yes, we will contribute £200 towards your travel in term 1. You don’t need to do anything to get this – these payments will be processed for you by the DTP administration team in the first term. They are separate from your stipends and will be paid by cheque. The DTP Manager will notify you by email when they are ready for collection.

I’m signing a tenancy agreement for my new flat or house, and the estate agent has asked for confirmation of my stipend. What should I do?

If you are setting up a tenancy agreement for a new flat or similar, and they need confirmation of your stipend, then you can ask the DTP Manager to be your referee. Please email her to find out more.

I need proof of my studentship, where can I get this?

There may be reasons you need to provide proof of your studentship, for instance when signing tenancy agreements, applying for work-related travel visas or applying for other student benefits. Please contact the DTP Manager, who will be able to provide this proof for you.

How do I choose my PhD project?

A good place to start is our list of exemplar projects – these are intended as example projects to give a flavour of what is available and what research questions different academics are interested in pursuing. You can then discuss and develop your project with your supervisor. Alternatively, you can design an entirely new PhD project with an academic you’re keen to work with. Our meet the supervisors events are a good opportunity to meet potential supervisors and discuss project ideas.

Can an academic supervise two students?

An academic can only be primary supervisor to one student in a cohort, and cannot be primary supervisor to students in two consecutive cohorts. So a supervisor may only sign one project proposal with one student. More information about supervisor eligibility can be found here.

I need to spend some of my research grant, how do I access it?

Before you make any purchases you need to seek prior approval from both your supervisor and the DTP Manager. The request will be checked against your project proposals, the balance of your RTSG funds, NERC rules and regulations, etc, before the purchase is approved. You will then receive a grant code to be used.

I’ve spent money that I need to claim back from my RTSG, how can I do this?

All purchases from your research grant must be pre-approved by your supervisor and the DTP Manager. Once the item is purchased, you can submit an expenses form to the DTP office. Please keep the original receipts and include these with your completed claim for. We will make final checks before signing off and sending to UCL Expenses.

I’m registered at one of the partner Universities, do I still need to complete UCL re-enrolment every year?

Yes. Please complete UCL re-enrolment each year (you will receive an email reminder to your UCL email address when it is time to re-enrol). This will allow you to retain access to the facilities at UCL, including the DTP room.

I’m reenrolling for my second or third year, and it says I’m registered as a Geography student, but I’m not. What should I do?

Don’t worry, the reenrolment task automatically assigns the home of the degree, which is the geography department, rather than the department you are actually registered in. This also ensures that your fee level is correct for the London NERC DTP. Please go ahead and reenroll, this doesn’t need to be changed.

If you have unanswered questions about your PhD with the London NERC DTP, please contact the DTP Admin team.

Stay informed

Click here to subscribe to our RSS newsletter by email.

Find Us

University College London is the administrative lead.

Pearson Building, UCL, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT

Follow us on Twitter