The London NERC DTP has been awarded 3 Research Experience Placements (REP) this year. This scheme is aimed at offering undergraduate students aimed exciting opportunities for them experience the research environment within the London NERC DTP partners.
There is a shortage of individuals with quantitative skills coming into environmental science. The REP scheme aims to address this shortage by offering funding to support summer placements for undergraduate students studying quantitative disciplines outside the NERC remit, during which they will undertake research within the environmental sciences. These placements are intended to encourage students to consider a career in environmental science.
We would like to invite staff, from departments within the London NERC DTP, to submit projects for consideration to this scheme. These projects will be advertised to undergraduates nationally, and they will be invited to apply. The projects need to typically be for 8-10 weeks and be held after the end of the summer term. The deadline for submissions is 5pm Friday 24th March 2017.
Proposed projects must:
- Have a clearly defined objective.
- Be within the remit of NERC.
- Be suitable for a student to sensibly complete within the timescale of the award.
- Include more than purely a computer/modelling component i.e. some element of fieldwork, data collection, or activity to give an understanding of the wider context, etc.
- Give scope for thought and initiative on the part of the student and should not use the student as a general assistant.
- Be based at your organisation.
Applications for 2017 REP projects are now closed. Successful applicants will be informed, and projects advertised to undergraduate students soon.