Project Submission Guidelines
To be eligible to act as a primary supervisor for a DTP PhD student, a member of staff must:
- have completed their 3-year probation period at one of the DTP partner organisations
- have received a Teaching and Learning Certificate
- have been vetted and approved by their Head of Department or Division
Their current contract must also exceed the length of the PhD studentship, in order to ensure continuity of supervision for the student.
The following departments belong to the consortium:
Birkbeck University: Earth & Planetary Sciences
Brunel University: Institute for the Environment
Institute of Zoology
Kings College London: Analytical & Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Science School, Geography
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Natural History Museum
Queen Mary University of London: Biological & Chemical Sciences, Geography
Royal Holloway University of London: Biological & Chemical Sciences, Earth Sciences, Geography
University College London: Anthropology, Archaeology, Earth Sciences, Genetics, Evolution & Environment, Geography, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy, Space and Climate Physics, Statistical Science
The primary supervisor of a project must be a member of one of the departments listed above.
A member of staff may submit a maximum of 3 projects as primary supervisor:
- One on their own or with colleagues (as second supervisor(s)) from their own institution;
- One with a colleague from another institution in the Partnership, and
- One with a colleague from an Associate (CASE) Partner.
Academics are limited to being primary supervisors for one studentship in any one cohort and are not allowed to act as primary supervisor to students in consecutive cohorts.
An individual member of staff can be a second supervisor on an unlimited number of other projects, as required and/or desired.
Each PhD project must include at least one supervisor from one of our University partners, capable of awarding doctoral degrees.